Sunday, December 20, 2015

Computers and Operating Systems Help

A few years ago, I switched academic interests - I went from pursuing mechanical engineering and physics, to studying computer science (this explains why I'm here). In recent times, I have also acquired more computers.

Back in 2011, I had two computers:
- iMac G5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, Leopard
- Dell, Intel-powered laptop, Windows Vista - no longer in my possession

I also had a Kindle Fire 1G, not rooted at the time.

Jumping into the current day, I now own the following (including those listed above):
- HP 15-g070nr AMD E-Series netbook
- HP Pavilion tx1305us AMD notebook
- Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Series (Intel®) laptop - no touchscreen, Core i5 2.2 GHz
- Also rooted the Kindle, and acquired a low-grade smartphone

While most of these devices are not really that powerful, I decided to have at least two Operating Systems running on each laptop I have - just to give myself a technical challenge.

On the tx1305us, I have Windows 10 and Linux Elementary running successfully (dual boot). On the Dell Inspiron, I have Windows 10 running natively, and am using VMware Workstation Player to test Mac OS X El Capitan. The HP 15 hasn't been easy to get setup yet, but I'm still trying. In addition to this, I did a few silly things as well - I jailbroke an iPod Touch 2G, and installed Chrome Remote Desktop on pretty much all of  the computers listed above.

As you can see, I did some outrageous things to unsuspecting computers. But, with this in mind, I now present an idea. I would like to do the following in this forum thread:
- test new apps and programs
- help out with computer questions and issues
- give tutorials for recent topics and issues

I would like to do this by using this thread to accept questions, and answering them for  all of those who have the same (or similar) issue(s). In addition to this, I also would like to encourage others to answer questions whenever possible, and even post the answers  on other websites if you so choose. In effect, this is a self-help forum that should be able to effectively alleviate issues with almost any system. Have fun, and feel free to ask any questions that are on your mind - just be sure to Google things first.

No comments:

Post a Comment